Businesses of all shapes and sizes are moving their networks to the cloud at an increasingly fast rate!
Cloud computing has officially taken off, and with good reason! The benefit of being able to access your network files from anywhere in the world and the promise of potentially unlimited amounts of storage have opened up a world of new possibilities for organization everywhere.
The new technology, however, has brought its own set of challenges and risks to the IT industry.
The threat of cyber-attacks is more prevalent than it has ever been, and IT security teams need to be on top of their game if they want to keep out this modern generation of hackers. At the same time, organizations are cash-strapped, and most can’t afford to train and keep experienced in-house security staff.
In-house Vs. Outsourced
Modern day companies in the UAE are faced with a simple question: Does it make sense anymore to manage our security in-house, or should we opt for a managed SOC solution?
If your company is facing a similar situation, here are the factors you need to consider in this debate.
Building your own team:
In-house operation centers ultimately suit organizations who value the confidentiality and integrity of their data over the increased expenses.
- The biggest benefit is that you ultimately have complete control over all of your sensitive data.
- This minimizes the risk of the loss of critical data that a business may be particular about, like trade secrets or new innovations.
- The solutions being used can be modified to suit your company’s needs.
- Certain industries like nuclear or space exploration have regulations in place that make having an in-house team far more desirable.
- The cost of hiring, training, and retaining specialist staff continues to increase as skill shortages in the industry grow. It is already a more expensive solution than outsourcing.
- It can take anywhere from 18 to 24 months to hire and set up a new team. Time is a luxury new businesses can’t afford.
- Most in-house teams won’t have the capacity or the required expertise to identify and respond to threats in real time.
Outsourced security solutions are far more cost-effective and stable for small and medium sized businesses.
- There’s no time delay. Businesses that decide to outsource instantly get the full services of an experienced, professional team of experts.
- There’s no 9 A.M – 5 P.M with managed SOCs. Your networks are monitored around the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- You’ll only have to pay the monthly costs which the MSSP charges. There are no additional costs of setting up and training a team.
- The identification of and response to threats is instant. 3rd party service providers have access to technologies and techniques which an in-house team might not even be aware off.
- Outsourcing creates a dependency on an outside party to manage your security, which can’t be carried out effectively without proper communication.
- An MSSP might employ solutions or services that are great for the general industry, but don’t suit your specific needs.
- You lose control over the ability to manage confidential and sensitive information.
Choosing what’s right for you!
When making your decision, ask yourself the following question:
- What is my current approach, and how efficiently is it working out?
- Do I have the budget to hire and retain an in-house team full time?
- How confidential is the data?
You’ll also want to consider the physical safety of your offices. A managed SOC allows you to monitor both virtual and physical networks at the same time, thanks to the advances in ELV systems like CCTV cameras and motion sensors etc.